La Société de Géographie is one of the oldest French learned societies and the oldest geographical society in the world. It was founded in 1812 by Jean Nicolas Buache, who was geographer and cartographer to Louis XVI and has been in public use since 1827.
La Société de Géographie has been participating in various activities since 1822. The Society organises monthly conferences, exhibitions, visits and trips to places of interest and awards prizes and medals for geographical work. The society also sponsors expeditions, lends its facilities for sister organisations to use, holds other conferences and organises trips for its members.
The society has a magazine entitled La Géographie.
The society has a considerable collection of reviews, maps, atlases, globes and photographs, although these are stored off site.
The society is a member of EUGEO and participates in IGU every four years.
Société de Géographie
184, Boulevard Saint-Germain